Guide to European Sources Online
Click on the link below to find guides describing the content and features of ESO. The guides are available in a number of European languages in addition to English.
You may personalise the presentations for use in your institution if you wish (acknowledgement is requested). Please contact us if you would like more detailed information about the information sources we include in the service.
Guides to using European Sources Online
You can gather statistics on the use made of ESO by your institution:
Show Institution Statistics
- Institution: Summary statistics for your organisation only.
- Session: Session begins when you invoke ESO or start new browser. Session ends when you close browser.
- Searches: Total number of expert, advanced and pre-defined searches per month.
- Full text accesses: Total number of bibliographic records accessed with full-text content.
Remote access to ESO
Apart from the conventional IP-range authentication, ESO can be remotely accessed using one of four methods:
- Shibboleth: If your institution is a member of the UK Access Management Federation, then your single sign-on user name will give you access to ESO. Click on "Login via Athens/Shibboleth" on the ESO home page and choose your institution from the drop down list.
- Athens via the Athens-Shibboleth gateway: If you're not already a member, then UK HE and FE institutions can join the UK Federation free of charge and gain access to Shibboleth protected resources like ESO.
After registration, click on "Login via Athens/Shibboleth" on the ESO home page and choose "EduServe Athens" from the drop down list.
- Athens via myAthens resources list: Athens users can now access ESO by logging in at the myAthens website and linking to ESO through the resource list.
- Username & Password: If you cannot gain access using one of the above methods, we will endeavour to provide access through a unique user name and password.
To set up your institution with one of the above authentication methods, email us at email@example.com
and we will help you through the registration process.
We can provide ESO subscribers with posters for display in your institutions and libraries. Alternatively you can download the posters from the links below.
Last revised: August 2009